Roanoke Free Press
Saturday, August 3, 2013

Candidate for the 12th HOD district shocked at gun raffle

James Harder Democratic candidate for Virginia HOD in the 12th district.

James Harder Democratic candidate for Virginia HOD in the 12th district.

James Harder, Democratic candidate running against Del. Joseph Yost in the 12th House of Delegates district “comes out against extreme gun rights group.”

BLACKSBURG, VA – House of Delegates candidate James Harder released this statement after learning the Virginia Citizens Defense League has been selling raffle tickets to win a Glock handgun—the same kind of weapon used in the Virginia Tech shootings in 2007—during the Steppin’ Out festival in Blacksburg this weekend:

“I am shocked at the insensitivity displayed by the Virginia Citizens Defense League this weekend. As a fifth generation resident of Blacksburg, I understand how the tragedy on April 16th still impacts this community. I ask to Virginia Citizens Defense League to stop trying to make a political statement with a stark reminder of the pain this town endured. I think my opponent’s endorsement by the VCDL and his support of their policies shows how out of touch he is with our community.”

John Galt

August 5th, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I am offended by politicians exploiting tragedy to disarm the citizenry, while ignoring logic and common sense.

Doug Peterson

August 5th, 2013 at 12:39 PM

It would appear from the enormous popularity of the gun raffle, that many don’t agree that this activity was either insensitive or inappropriate.

The winner will have to undergo a background check in order to take possession of the Glock.

None of the pro-gun legislation opposed by Mr. Harder resulted in any increase in crime. In fact, the most recent statistics indicate that violent crime is down nationwide by a significant percentage.

Robert Sadtler

August 5th, 2013 at 12:42 PM

This statement is a pathetic joke. Mr. Harder needs to get his facts straight before he runs his mouth.

Forget for a moment that the gun in question was DONATED, and that VCDL had no say in the choice of pistol. you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

As a VCDL Lobbyist, I have had absolutely NO interaction with Del. Yost in either of his two years in office.

More importantly, Del. Yost DOES NOT have an endorsement from VCDL-PAC. Get your facts straight Jimbo.

I should know. I’m the one who MAKES the endorsements!

Robert Sadtler
Chairman, VCDL-PAC

Dan McConnell

August 5th, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I am a Family man, a gun owner, a former Police Officer, a hunter, and a Patriot. I believe in this Country and the principles upon which it was founded. I refuse to accept that just because some Psycho (Cho)chose to murder innocent people that it is appropriate to disarm Law Abiding Citizens, and then refer to that unconstitutional act as a “logical” response.
CHO killed those people at Virginia Tech. Without him and his mal-intended actions the “Glock” that everyone is screaming about would have laid around as animate as a brick and harmed NO ONE. The Psycho “CHO” is to blame, not the Glock nor the millions of Law Abiding Gun Owners who have harmed no one.
If the Glock is so evil, then why do the Police at “Virginia Tech” carry the very same model pistol that CHO used? Here is a group of officials who carry their “Glock” for the very purpose of potentially shooting someone with it. If they had not the will to use it – if necessary – then they have no reason to carry it. I’m not saying that that is a “bad” thing…I’m just stating reality.
I do not believe that there exist “Anti-Gun” proponents…I believe that those people are actually “Anti-Freedom”; having only the desire to focus on their own narrow view of what THEY want the World to be, and condeming anyone who does not think the way they want.
I believe that EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion; I do not believe that ANYONE has the right to enforce their opinion on me or my loved ones.

Henry Lee

August 5th, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Remember me? I am dead. Killed by a Glock on April 16 at VT. How soon you forget or plain don’t care.

You don’t care that my still grieving mother had to see that Glock and became distraught all over again.

I was looking forward to a very productive life. I was a graduate of William Fleming High School.

The 2nd amendment killed me and 30 others. A gun killed me. Cho, a coward, without a gun would not have attempted such carnage. I would be alive if Cho did not have a gun. He would not have killed me with his fist or even a knife.

You all just keep pulling the trigger and keep killing me over and over again with your “gun love.”

This is suppose to be a civilized country with only militia bearing arms.

You all kill me over and over again with your gun love.

John Galt

August 5th, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Henry Lee : I guess the 2.5 million people who use guns defensively each year should all sacrifice themselves on your altar of gun hate. Hatred of liberty, self defense, and self reliance. After all, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Henry Lee

August 5th, 2013 at 4:06 PM

John: you are talking to a ghost. Hatred is not part of my vocabulary. Only you know how to hate. You worship at the altar of the “Glock” – a false god.

richard schwartz

August 5th, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Harder, your’re just looking for something that will bring attention to yourself. Good men and women have a right to protect themselves and their children from the evil that lurks around us every day and night.

Winston Smith

August 5th, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I sincerely hope that the physical resemblance to Vladimir Lenin is pure coincidence.

John Wilburn

August 6th, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Funny to see Bob Sadtler here setting the record straight on Yost. I’m setting the record staright on the raffle Glock. That particular gun WAS NOT chosen for this particular event. We were wanting some popular modern self-defense pistol to raffle, like most all of us carry everyday, and I was hoping to have it for winter gun shows, but it didn’t come together in time. I was hoping for May, but another dealer worked with us for another raffle gun, a .38 revolver. Then, the donation came through for what may be the most popular handgun in the world, the Glock 19. Turns out, the very next event we were already LONG scheduled to attend was Steppin’ Out. We host or attend events all year long and the timing was coincidental.

I know because I’m the one who secured the donation of the Glock and coordinated the VCDL booth.

John Wilburn