Friday, May 4, 2012

Komen Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate awards $308,936 in grants

Tanya Semones field director with Planned Parenthood said they are separately receiving grants from Komen and are currently offering free breast exams at their Peters Creek Road location.

Roanoke City has the highest breast cancer mortality in the area.

ROANOKE – May 3, 2012 – Six regional health care agencies have been awarded grants from the Komen Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate to reduce barriers, increase access and improve outcomes through early detection in screening. The grants will serve women across the Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate region that are identified as uninsured or underinsured for breast screening services.

The Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate has increased its community based awards from $292,815 to $308,936 due to successful fundraising including an increase in contributions from its Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure®. Melissa Woodson, Executive Director, cites a highly engaged community that realizes that significant philanthropy needs to occur in order to combat the disease. “We are completely dedicated to serving women by ensuring preventative care as well as developing new chemotherapies. We want to ensure that women have the chance to live a lifetime.”

The area agencies designated to receive Komen grants include Carilion Clinic Breast Care Center, Roanoke, VA ($79,789) – Centra’s Pearson Cancer Center’s Comprehensive Breast Program ($57,050) – Martinsville-Henry County Coalition for Health and Wellness, Martinsville, VA ($31,031)– Rockbridge Area Free Clinic ($12,747)– Virginia Department of Health, Mount Rogers Health District, Marion, VA ($79,500) – Virginia Department of Health, Pittsylvania-Danville Health District, Chatham, VA ($48,819).

These grants are awarded specifically to address medically uninsured and/or under-served women in 32 cities and counties which include Alleghany, Amherst, Bath, Bedford, Botetourt, City of Buena Vista, Campbell, Carroll, City of Covington, City of Danville, City of Covington, City of Danville, Craig, Floyd, Franklin, City of Galax, Giles, Grayson, Henry, City of Lexington, City of Lynchburg, City of Martinsville, Montgomery, Patrick, Pittsylvania, Pulaski, City of Radford, Roanoke, City of Roanoke, Rockbridge, City of Salem and Wythe.

According to Grants Chair, Eileen Lepro, “This broadly-based service area is an excellent demonstration of the Affiliate’s aim to reach women throughout Southwest Virginia. The Blue Ridge Affiliate provides a thoughtful and deliberate process in our decisions regarding funding opportunities for potential grantees. The process is dedicated to the selection and preparation of a highly diverse and well educated grant review panel. The grant review panel remains confidential in order to provide objectivity in decision making. The Board of Directors receives the slate of approved candidates but is never privy to the decision making undertaken by the grant review panelists.”

Requests for Applications are designed to help prospective grantees understand the required elements of a high quality program and outcomes-based planning and evaluation. The review panel selects those grants that reflect best practices in order to fulfill Komen’s mission to eradicate breast cancer. Seventy-five percent (75%) of donations to our Affiliate remain local so that we can continue to provide the funding necessary to the needs of our local communities. The remaining 25% goes directly into national research with 0 dollars dedicated to administrative overhead at the national level.

Posted By Valerie Garner

Categories: Finance, Local Events

Tags: ,


No Comments

Comments are not moderated. Notify any abuse at put ABUSE in the subject and the offensive post.

Leave a Reply