One of those pesky facts that have been left out of the discussion regarding city council pay raises. Thanks to the director of finance, Anne Shawver’s response for adding clarity to the discussion.
At the May 1 Roanoke City Council meeting either not heard by other media or ignored Shawver off the top of her head said that council had received a 5% over the last 10 years (two of those years it was rolled back to 2004 level). Click HERE for why.
Shawver guessed that city employees over those same 10 years had received a 25% raise. After careful calculation she responded today that it was actually a cumulative 23.5% for city employees.
They will receive a 2% raise this year, a 1% raise to compensate for health retirement contribution for a total of 3%. Next year they will also start contributing 5% to their pension (July 2014) for which they will receive at least a 5% increase to compensate assuming they get no other raise.
The Mayor over 10 years has received a salary increase was 5.2%, and city council members received 5.3%.
in FY08, a higher level of pay was set for Vice Mayor, $1,000 more than City Council members so that turned out to be 12.1%. All this averages out at a yearly average rate .5% for the Mayor and council members and 1.2% for Vice-Mayor for the past 10 years.
Employees over the last 10 years averaged a 2.4% pay increase per year.
CLICK HERE for the YEAR by YEAR analysis by Ann Shawver.
Comments, and Roanoke Times Editorials and Dan Casey have made hay over the 28% pay raise for council members at $20,000 (take 6% off for pension and health contributions leaving actually 22%). The Mayor who has received the brunt of the criticism would get a raise to $23,000 which equates to a 15% raise (minus the 6% pension and health contribution is actually 9%).
As comments from citizens complaining that city employees received less than council has received over the past 10 years they are sorely mistaken and The Roanoke Times has failed to correct their perception. or more cynically don’t want them to know.
Whether they deserve any raises at all and citizens think they are all buffoons as council member Ray Ferris remarked on Monday that is citizens prerogative. Take into consideration “actual facts” ignored by other media.
Posted By Valerie Garner
Categories: Commentary, Finance, Politics, Roanoke City Politics
Tags: city_council, Mayor_Bowers