Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sam Rasoul expects hate-mongering attacks but will remain positive

Sam Rasoul

Sam Rasoul

There are just over three weeks left to campaign for the January 7 special election for the 11th district House of Delegates. So far there have been no forums and no plans for a forum. Let us hope that changes so voters will have at least some comparison between the now three candidates. Sheriff Octavia Johnson withdrew from the Mill Mountain Garden Club forum that was set for Wednesday night. Rasoul accepted the invitation.

Instead of forums to inform the voters Republicans are planning an all out attack on the Democratic nominee. Don’t expect much of any positive messaging from the Republicans.

The back story is that the Republicans or PAC for them and their candidate will hit hard with negative fliers and TV ads. They will be attacking Rasoul on his ethnicity and his religion. When asked about this Rasoul said “some people just like to hate” and there is nothing you can do about it.

The bloggesphere and even progressives like Ben Tribbett hit Rasoul with negative slander in the 2008 6th district congressional race when Rasoul faced Rep. Bob Goodlatte. The Republicans left it alone thinking he had little chance anyway and didn’t want to risk a backlash. Now that Rasoul has a better than even chance of winning. The expectation is that the Republicans or their PAC will hit him with everything they’ve got to get this last Southwest Virginia delegate seat.

Roanokers don’t hate and those that do have no intention of voting for a Democrat anyway.

Tribbett in a tweet is still uninspired by Rasoul’s nomination:

Ben Tribbett @notlarrysabato @ValerieInRke@lowkell@tomperriello I’m trying so hard not to go off on Sam Rasoul, but his nomination makes me want to vomit!

When contacted Rasoul says he refuses to go negative against his Republican opponent Sheriff Octavia Johnson or Kimble Reynolds and will not listen to any advice to do so. Rasoul plans to continue his personal contact with voters and explain who he is and where he stands on the issues. “I won’t go negative – call it a liability but I won’t go negative,” said Rasoul. “I’ll just have to work harder.”

The Democratic Party of Virginia is behind Rasoul with staffers, funding and technical assistance. “They are all solidly behind me,” he said.

Rasoul’s campaign material will tell his story and contain no references or negativity toward his opponents. “I’ll do what my third grade teacher, Dr. Marylen Harmon, told me to do – kill them with kindness and tell my story.”

Categories: Election 2014, Elections, Politics, State Politics

Tags: , , , ,

Rick Howell

December 12th, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Sam is taking precisely the right approach, and I hope he sticks with it.

Benjamin Tribbett

December 12th, 2013 at 8:45 PM

How is it "negative slander" to republish his own remarks in 2008?

Terry Huxhold

December 12th, 2013 at 8:48 PM

A party of lies and hate will end under it's own lies and hate. Sam was wise to take the high road. Makes me wonder what Johnson is afraid of in a debate and why they want to go negative..

Thaddeus Henry Hale Jr.

December 12th, 2013 at 9:26 PM

There are legitimate concerns about this candidate that have nothing to do with race and/or ethnicity. If for no other reason, the campaign finance issues he had in 2008 should give some level of concern. Also, if Benjamin Tribbett has a concern about any Democrat in VA state politics, we ignore him at own peril.

Thaddeus Henry Hale Jr.

December 12th, 2013 at 9:28 PM

The author should have disclose she's a supporter of Rasoul, and that the article was an opinion piece.

Valerie Garner

December 12th, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Let the Democrats eat their own. Yes lets do that Ben. Let ‘er rip! Nothing came of the campaign donations. If so then point to the result of the investigation or did it go nowhere.

Valerie Garner

December 12th, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Oh you know Obama was born in Kenya and he is a Muslim. Yes, lets add that while we’re at it Thaddeus and Ben. No better than the birthers. Judging someone you’ve never met and smearing them sure sounds like the recipients of emails people believe on face value.

So just what do you think Rasoul will do as a delegate that will be so reprehensible?

I would have supported the candidate who won the primary and asked them if they wanted to place a campaign ad on my website whoever it had been.

Not Larry Sabato

December 12th, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I remember writing about a speech he gave that had anti-semitic language. What about donations are you talking about? Don’t remember that issue.

Valerie Garner

December 12th, 2013 at 7:51 PM

That was an error on their part. It was taken down and they apologized for the quote he did not make.

There was something I ran into on the internet regarding his donors that turned out to be no there there.