Sunday, November 15, 2009

Vinton Town Council candidate has a young strong voice – video

Aaron Lyles announces for Vinton Town Council

Aaron Lyles announces for Vinton Town Council

Aaron Lyles, a senior at William Byrd High School will be 18 years old in March 2010. He will vote for the first time in May.

Sunday afternoon before a group of 35 people Lyles declared himself a candidate for Vinton Town Council. Introduction was made by Andrew Thacker Lyles World History II teacher in his sophomore year.

After Lyles made his announcement John Beach Lyles proud government teacher was impressed by his student saying, “It’s not very often you have a student that looks forward to coming to government class.”

Beach explained how Lyles has been involved in the political process since the ninth grade. “He’s always been interested in politics … he comes to class excited and enthusiastic asking – are we going to talk about this or that,” said Beach. Before class Aaron would critique the campaign of Democratic candidate for Governor Creigh Deeds and what he “should” be doing to win.

Aaron’s adoptive grandmother, Betsy McDermott was proud of her grandson, as were all the supporters out at the Charles R. Hill Senior Center next to the Vinton War Memorial. Supporters included former Democratic congressional candidate Sam Rasoul, former candidate for Delegate Martin Jeffrey and his campaign manager Mark Powell.

Lyles campaign manager is Josh Ball and his communications director is David O’Neal. O’Neal was communication director for Troy Bird Republican candidate for the 11th House of Delegate seat.

In candidate Lyles announcement he said the current town Council is not reaching out to the people or businesses. Vinton does not get its fair share from the County and he would work to address the disparity.

“We need a council member who will work to utilize our elected officials to the fullest potential … I feel it was a misappropriation of funds,” declared Lyles. He was referring to the $50 million Green Ridge Recreation Center that few Vinton residents will use due to its north county location. Lyles said a better use of $50 million would be to divide it out to the municipalities. Vinton’s share being $10 million would go a long way in saving the Vinton pool as well as aide in storm water management costs.

Lyles will soon circulate a petition for the necessary 125 signatures of registered voters. Then with his 18th birthday he can be placed on the ballot for the May election.

Categories: Politics, Roanoke County Politics

November 16th, 2009 at 1:50 AM

As a close friend of Aaron Lyles for almost 13 years, I noticed several errors in this such as typo’s (former candidate for delegate Martin Jeffrey and campaign manager Martin Jeffrey, these should have been Mark D. Powell, also one error in photo description.) I think Aaron Lyles as a great chance to win.

Joseph Lazzerini

November 16th, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Aaron Lyles will lead his community in the right direction. I ran for Ward 1 City Council in the November 3, 2009 election in Attleboro, MA as an 18 year old. While I did not win, it was a very close race that we provided alot of substance too. The best advice I can give you – is to knock on doors and meet with as many voters as you can. Keep it positive, no matter what the political pundits say. Never go negative. Run a smart and responsible campaign and don’t forget who your friends are! Keep it up! Lyles, they will tell you to quit and run again in the future. You tell them this – You said I am the future, your right – the future starts today – so let me Lead today!

November 16th, 2009 at 2:06 AM

I need a copy editor – you are welcome here any time. The pay is great :)

Aaron Lyles

November 16th, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Val, thanks for covering my event yesterday! I appreciate you coming out. Only one error I see is the woman in the wheel chair is my adoptive grandmother, Betsy McDermott. Kim Price is my mother who is not pictured. Sorry if I misunderstood the question yesterday, there was a lot going on! Thanks again, hope to see you soon.

Adam Boitnott

November 25th, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Have fun Lyles. Surprised to see O’Neal switch parties.

November 25th, 2009 at 5:44 PM

No surprise to me, Adam. Vinton Town Council has no party label. David just has another candidate to work for that he admires.

There both good kids (from an old folks perspective) and it is heartwarming to see them so enthusiastic in the political process.

Hope you are well Adam. I am anxious to see who you field for Roanoke City Council.

Adam Boitnott

November 26th, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I agree Val it is always good to see people get involved and even better when they start young. We all know Lyles is a big DEM and has declared as one which surprised me to see O’Neal work with him since I got the impression that kid was pretty conservatitive.

I see O’Neal put on his FB page he is proud to be a Republican so I guess he has read our thread. I guess this means you are right he did not switch parties he just found a candidate.

It should be interesting to see how they do in that election. I don’t know much about Vinton Town Council but I would bet it holds Republican or leans towards conservative Indys.

Adam Boitnott

November 26th, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Hey Val are you and Powell thinking of running for council?

November 27th, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Hey Adam I think everyone should run in the Democratic primary.

Adam Boitnott

November 27th, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I guess that is a declaration of Garner & Powell for Council.

Comments are not moderated. Notify any abuse at put ABUSE in the subject and the offensive post.